.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

An Every Day Occurrence

As for me, I delight In the everyday Way, Among mist-wrapped vines And rocky caves. Here in the wilderness I am completely free, With my friends, The white clouds, Idling forever. There are roads, But they do not reach the world; Since I am mindless, Who can rouse my thoughts? On a bed of stone I sit, Alone in the night, While the round moon Climbs up Cold Mountain. - Han shan ( 8th century)

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

A few things about Motherhood, dun-dun-dun!

On the whole, I choose a positive outlook when it comes motherhood. By nature, I am a realist.

Being a mother is better than I expected and not as hard as I had imagined. For one thing, the sleepless nights don't last very long. By 7-weeks old, both of my little ones were sleeping from 11 am to 6 am. And the sleeping periods grew with time. The little one at 16 months, goes down at 7:30 pm daily and wakes up at 7 am. The oldest goes down between 8 and 8:30 pm and I have to wake her.

That said, there are times when, yes, I do wish I didn't have to be responsible for another human being. They are few and far between but they do happen.

Some days, I want to be able to work without consideration for having to leave at exactly the same time because I have to get to the girls before the daycares close or I am charged more. Bathroom privacy is a thing of the past but there IS a point when your kid does decide they'd rather not be there when you're stinking up the loo.

And thankfully, there haven't been many moments when the oldest antagonizes the little one. When it happens, I feel like I want to strangle everyone in the house. Both of my girls inherited my mezzo-soprano pitch and when they are loud, it's almost like a piercing of the brain.

Most of the time, I truly enjoy getting up every morning and having my coffee, reading a chapter, and making my way towards the girls' room. I like seeing "C's" big head pop up when I open the door and even more, the big cheesy smile she gives me as I walk toward her. Of course, the annoying little whine starts if the routine changes in the slightest. Creature of habit just like her big sister. "C" is a bit crabby until I make her a bottle. That done, all is right with the world.

I set her back in the crib while I tease "K" awake. And even though she hides her head under the blankets, I always catch a smile forming. The minute I start to walk away, she pops right up like a Jack-in-the-box toy. Makes me laugh every time.

"K" starts her morning routine of telling me about what she dreamt about, all the while looking for what to wear. She's quite practical and looks out the window to see if she should wear something warm or something light. Although lately, we've been arguing about one outfit in particular. She's not a girly girl but she fell in love with a Japanese-inspired print skirt and crossover top. She tends to wear it at least once a week and keeping it laundered is a challenge. Drives me up the freaking wall!

Overall, she's a great kid and fellow parents at her school tell me they wish their kids thought they were as cool as mine thinks I am. They tell me it's only a matter of time before I'm an embarassment to her and theirs just started earlier. Until then, I'm going to enjoy our closeness and hope that we'll return to that sooner rather than later.

I guess I overlook most of the annoyances because I would rather spend time enjoying the good things. All too often, people spend time looking at what's wrong in their life that they don't see what's good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home